Wednesday, January 30, 2008

BUT I CAN PRAY

Work is over for the day. I thought I would stop and get caught up on finding out what is happening in this crazy world we live in. Out of all the madness going on I have been particularly interested in finding out what is taking place in Kenya. What better way of finding out the "truth" than our worlds media sources. Yes there was some sarcasm involved there.

Of course the media is just that "the media" but I have come to enjoy the reports and articles on the BBC. They do a much better job on coverage of international news than most American based media in my humble opinion. After reading through some gripping and informative articles I came across an excerpt from an article entitled "Kenya's poor at each others throats" written by BCC reporter Fergal Keane. I thought it worthy of expounding on.

Fergal at the end of the article throws in an interview he did with a woman that is experiencing the lack of stability firsthand. The excerpt reads as follows:

"In the middle of all this are families like that of Ruth Awuma. She is married with six children and a husband who cannot work due to dreadful burn injuries. A lit candle fell on his bed while he slept.

Ruth rises every day at dawn and travels to work as a maid in Nairobi, returning home every evening just in time to put her younger children to bed.

I asked what her dream was. She didn't talk about a new president or democracy. Such things seemed abstract in her dark and claustrophobic home.

"I would love a water supply in my house," she said.

But you must know that is unlikely, I said.

Ruth laughed. "But I can pray," she replied.

It was about as eloquent a statement of hope as you could hear in Kenya these days." Click here to read full article

And there we have it friends a lovely topic to write on.

Fergal tells Ruth, "You know Ruth, that dream you have of water, that probably will not happen. I don't want to be rude but seriously come back down to reality, don't get your hopes up, you must know that is not very likely for you to get a water supply in your house! That is actually crazy"

In the very face of opposition Ruth laughs, "O Fergal, indeed what are the possibilities for me to get a water supply. I would in fact be the first in the neighborhood to obtain one, but you know, I can pray. So that's what I will do, I will pray!"

Fergal with a smile nodds his head pleasantly in agreement, though knowing full well prayer is a hopeless act, "Ah, yes Ruth, indeed, you can pray."

This brought a smile to my face. I wish I could go back in this moment to be present in this conversation just so I could give Ruth a hug and say keep on praying sister. Don't give up on your dreams.

Now alot could be written here, of the faith of the Africans, of the power of prayer, of having hope in desperate times or of being optimistic in difficult circumstances all of which could be an appropriate topic to expound on from the inspiration this one statement. Maybe I will come back to one of those at another time when I have more time to write. But for now I leave here with this thought in mind, we have not because we ask not. Thanks Ruth for reminding me, keep on laughing at the odds and praying expectantly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You taught me a lot this weekend. I love your heart. Thanks for being you.

-k.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Câmera Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://camera-fotografica-digital.blogspot.com. A hug.

Jennifer said...

Hey Shawnc...just wanted you to know I read your blog. Come to Charlotte and see us. Miss you buddy.